Can you instruct us?
5RB have a team of barrister’s from QCs to Junior Counsel licensed to undertake public, professional and licensed access work. Our team have all completed the Bar Council’s accredited course.
What is Public Access?
You can now contact 5RB directly. Members of the public and commercial and non-commercial organisations are now able to instruct barristers directly on most civil matters. Bar Council rules changed in 2004 to allow members of the public to come direct to barristers for legal advice or representation without going through a solicitor or another qualified intermediary first. This is known as Public Access. Click here to read more about instructing us via the direct public access scheme.
The two other ways to instruct barristers are as follows:
- Professional Client Access. Solicitors, qualified in-house lawyers and other authorised litigators may instruct barristers directly either on behalf of clients or on their own account in any matter for all types of work.
- Licensed Access. Licensed access is a licensing system whereby organisations or individuals who are suitable to instruct barristers because they have expertise in particular areas of law can apply to the Bar counsel to be licensed to instruct barristers directly in those areas. The licensed access licensing scheme ensures that the referrer has the skills necessary and the facilities available to instruct the Bar direct.
Services available to overseas clients
Barristers of 5RB provide advocacy and advisory services direct to overseas lawyers, corporate clients and individuals in various countries including the United States, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Nigeria, and the West Indies.
- be instructed directly for timely, cost-effective advisory services within our specialist areas of law in England and Wales and the European Court of Human Rights;
- advise and assist in litigation preparation;
- provide specialist advice and assistance on the drafting, interpretation and enforceability of contracts governed by the law of England and Wales and other common law countries;
- provide a 24/7 rapid response for all your pre-publication and urgent injunction issues;
- provide mediation, alternative dispute resolution and arbitration services.
We understand how important it is to establish a relationship prior to need; therefore we encourage you to contact us to learn how we can help you BEFORE the need arises.
We offer a 24/7 service with a clerk and at least two barristers on call at all times. The clerks’ room is open from 8:30 am to 6:30 pm Monday to Friday.