Urgent injunctions


Is it possible to obtain an emergency injunction?

5RB barristers regularly act on behalf of both applicants and respondents in urgent interim applications out of court hours. In particular, we have appeared in most of the major privacy and confidence injunction hearings since the Human Rights Act came into force. Many have taken place on Friday evenings and Saturdays ahead of publication in a Sunday newspaper. Some obviously remain confidential.

Do you have barristers on standby?

Every weekend two members of chambers are on call to deal with emergency applications. If the possibility of applying for, or resisting, an injunction is known sooner our clerks will advise who is available and suitable for your needs. It is advisable to call us by Friday at the latest for a weekend injunction, particularly if a specific barrister is requested, but we are always available if this is not possible.

How do I contact someone?

During office hours please call +44 (0)20 7242 2902.

At any time outside of office hours please call:
Kim Janes on +44 (0)78 1367 5904; or
Andrew Love on +44 (0)79 3264 7040

What needs to be done?

The barrister instructed will be able to advise you how to contact the court to set up a hearing with the duty judge and the documents that will be needed. The most pressing matter is the evidence. You should ensure, so far as possible, that detailed instructions are taken from the client and a draft witness statement is prepared.

What if the court grants the order sought?

If the court grants the order sought the respondent will be prohibited from doing what is identified in the order. Depending on the circumstances, it may be that the court will direct that a fuller hearing takes place at a later date. This is often just a few days later.

What if the court does not grant the order sought?

Failing the unusual scenario of an expedited appeal to the Court of Appeal the respondent will not be prohibited from doing what the order was sought to prevent. The applicant may then wish to bring a claim for damages and a permanent injunction.