Since joining 5RB in 2008, Yuli has established a solid practice in media and entertainment law, acting for both claimants and defendants. She has been instructed in a number of high-profile cases, including acting for Channel Four, Mirror Group Newspapers, Associated Newspapers, The Evening Standard and The Spectator.
This past year, she has been assisting Trinity Mirror Group in the Leveson Inquiry, and has also acted for Mirror Group Newspapers in KC v MGN Ltd (Court of Appeal, led by Desmond Browne QC) and in CVB v MGN Ltd (privacy claim). She recently completed a two month Pegasus Scholarship at Davis Wright Tremaine LLP in New York and San Francisco.
Other notable work includes:
- Acting for Naomi Campbell in her successful claim against the Telegraph over allegations that she organised an elephant polo match in India.
- In June 2012, she represented the Daily Mail and the Evening Standard (led by Adrienne Page QC) in the first defamation jury trial in three years, brought by Luke Cooper.
- In February 2012, she represented Channel Four and Hardcash Productions (led by Adrienne Page QC) in Viagogo v Channel 4 & Ors in successfully resisting an injunction application by Viagogo to stop parts of a Dispatches programme from being broadcast.
- In the summer of 2011, she acted as Junior Counsel (led by Gavin Miller QC) for the successful defendant in Ferdinand v MGN Ltd - a landmark privacy case brought by premiership footballer, Rio Ferdinand. It is the first privacy case reaching trial in which a 'kiss n tell' has been held to be in the public interest.
- In 2009-2010, she acted as Junior Counsel for Channel Four and Studio Lambert in a long-running defamation claim brought by Matthew Fiddes over a documentary about the famous Jackson family. She appeared in the Court of Appeal in Fiddes v Channel 4 & Ors, which provided important guidance on the issue of mode of trial in libel actions.
- Yuli has also appeared in the High Court in a number of successful strike-out, Norwich Pharmacal applications and damages assessments on behalf of both claimants and defendants.
She regularly provides pre-publication advice to Harper Collins, Penguin, the British Medical Journal, The Sunday Times, Guardian and the Observer and has spent 8 months on secondment at Channel Four.
Before pupillage, Yuli worked as a lawyer at Ofcom specialising in broadcasting regulation and breach of privacy cases.
Yuli has also worked as a legal advisor for the Hoxton Trust and has gained commercial litigation experience working on a complex, multi-million pound professional negligence claim at a leading London law firm.
2007 Called to the Bar
Philosophy / SPS, Cambridge University (1st Class)
GDL, BPP Law School
BVC, BPP Law School
Areas of work
- Privacy and Confidence
- Data Protection
- Reporting the Courts
- Pre-publication Advice
- Entertainment Law
- General Common Law
- Human Rights
- Malicious Falsehood
- Media Law
- Passing off
Yuli’s hard work, attention to detail, commitment and sheer enthusiasm were first rate and we look forward to instructing her in the near future.
Prash Naik, Controller of Legal & Compliance, Channel 4
We have co-presented with Yuli at several key TV industry seminars. Her understanding and grasp of complex issues surrounding privacy and the Ofcom codes is admirable. She is approachable and friendly.
Lisa Logan, Partner and Head of Media & Entertainment, Candey LLP
(17 Mar 2011)