Aled joined 5RB in October 2017 after successful completion of pupillage at Chambers.
During pupillage, Aled worked in all of 5RB’s areas of practice, including defamation, privacy, data protection, reporting restrictions and copyright law. Cases with which Aled assisted included:
- Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman v ARY Network Ltd: a week-long trial of libel and harassment claims which led to a damages award of £185,000 and the first ever publication order under s.12 of the Defamation Act 2013.
- Flymenow Ltd v Quick Air Ltd: a three-day trial of a libel claim in which damages of £10 were awarded via reliance on the Pamplin principle.
- Norman v Norman: an application in the Court of Appeal against a reporting restriction made in financial remedies proceedings.
- AJS v News Group Newspapers: a privacy injunction relating to a potential witness in a serious criminal investigation.
- Optical Express Ltd and Ors v Associated Newspapers Ltd: a libel and malicious falsehood claim in relation to allegations made about the claimant’s surgical procedures
- Guise v Shah: a ten-day direct access trial of claims in defamation, harassment and data protection.
- R v R: an appeal in the Court of Appeal regarding a reporting restrictions order made by the family court.
- Various Claimants v Mirror Group Newspapers: four misuse of private information claims made by four victims of phone hacking.
- Singh v Weayou: a three-day trial of libel and malicious falsehood claims, where a qualified privilege defence was defeated by a finding of malice.
Aled has recently advised a number of seed-stage start-ups in relation to issues of intermediate liability, data protection and regulatory compliance. He has also provided guidance to a number of bodies about data sharing post-Brexit and potential reform to the E-Commerce Directive, and currently provides pre-publication advice to The Sun.
Aled was called to the bar in 2016, after graduating from Corpus Christi College, Oxford. Whilst at Oxford, he was a member of the university mooting team, competing at the 8th Annual Price International Media Law Moot.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Aled worked in politics.
Aled advises both claimants and defendants in all of Chambers’ areas of practice, and offers pre-publication advice to all media and communications companies.
2016 Called to the bar
Bar Professional Training Course, City Law School, London - 2015 - 2016 B.A. Law, Corpus Christi College, Oxford - 2012 - 2015
Edmund-Davies Scholarship (Gray's Inn)
Areas of work
- Privacy and Confidence
- Data Protection
- Injunctive Relief
- Reporting the Courts
- Malicious Falsehood
- Intellectual Property
- Freedom of Information
- Public Law
- Administrative Law
- Human Rights
6 Oct 2017
Aled Jones joins 5RB; Justin Rushbrooke QC becomes new Joint Head of Chambers following appointment of Mr Justice Nicklin to the High Court