April 12, 2006
News Group pays £100k to Rooney
England player settles libel case over nightclub slap claim
Manchester United and England footballer Wayne Rooney has accepted £100,000 damages from the publishers of The Sun and The News of the World after the newspapers falsely alleged that he slapped his fiancée, Coleen McLoughlin.
The 20-year-old star and Miss McLouglin had always strenuously denied claims that he slapped her at Brasingamens nightclub in Alderley Edge, Cheshire on 10 April last year. The trial of the action had been due to commence on 2 May 2006.
At the High Court in London the newspapers’ publishers, News Group Newspapers Ltd, accepted the allegations were false and apologised.
Ronald Thwaites QC, for Mr Rooney, told the court that the Defendant had published the allegations in The Sun on 12 April followed by an article in The News of the World on 17 April last year.
Mr Thwaites told Mr Justice Eady at the High Court in London: “The allegations were and are completely false and indefensible. The defendant got it wrong. The claimant and his fiancée Coleen McLoughlin were devastated by the publication of these false allegations.” They had suffered “enormous embarrassment and distress” as a result, he said.
John Kelsey Fry QC, representing News Group, said that the newspapers apologised to Mr Rooney and accepted that the allegations were false.
Lawyers for the player said he would be donating the damages to charity.
- Waynw Rooney: Apology – The Sun
- £100,000 for Roo over attack lie – Daily Mirror
- Libel award lets Rooney concentrate on his game – The Times
- Rooney accepts £100,000 over claims that he abused fiancée – The Guardian
- Rooney wins damages over false violence claims – Daily Telegraph
- Rooney wins £100k damages – Media Guardian
- Newspapers to pay Rooney damages – BBC News
- Rooney scores thousands in damages – Sky News
- Rooney payout on Sun slap claim – Press Gazette