24 Apr 2005
Beckhams fail in Injunction Bid
Judge allows former nanny's story to appear in News of the World
David and Victoria Beckham failed in a 11th hour bid for an injunction last night to prevent their former nanny from revealing details of their private life in the News of the World.
The couple had applied for an order to restrain their nanny, Abbie Gibson, from breaching their confidentiality relying on a term in her contract. However the Judge, Mr Justice Langley, refused the injunction after a 90-minute hearing ruling that the Beckhams had not satisfied him that they would ultimately be successful in getting an injunction at trial in view of the newspaper's public interest defence.
A spokesman for the Beckhams said: "We are consulting our lawyers with a view to taking legal action."
- Beckhams plan to take legal case - BBC News
- Beckhams 'will take legal action over' newspaper story - The Telegraph
- Beckhams fail to halt marriage revelations - Sky News
- Beckhams vow to take legal action - itv.com
- Beckhams threaten to sue as judge refuses to gag nanny - MediaGuardian
- Does Beckham judgment change the rules? - BBC News