15 Dec 2007
Kidman wins libel damages
Actress settles claim over perfume allegations
Nicole Kidman has accepted substantial damages from the Daily Telegraph over allegations that she had broken her contract with perfume company Chanel.
In its Spy gossip column on DATE, the newspaper published an article falsely alleging that while in London to promote her latest film, 'The Golden Compass', the Australian actress had angered Chanel by attending press events with a bottle of Jo Malone perfume despite being under contract to promote Chanel, and that she had claimed that Jo Malone's White Jasmine and Mint was her favourite perfume.
The paper today settled Kidman's libel claim by agreeing to pay her substantial damages and her legal costs, and printing an apology and retraction. It conceded that the story had been invented by its source. The actress has said that she will donate the damages to Unifem, the United Nations Development Fund for Women.
- Statement in open court
- Press release - Schillings
- Kidman wins libel damages - BBC
- Kidman's sweet smell of victory - Channel 4
- Kidman wins damages from Telegraph - Guardian
- Nicole Kidman wins libel damages from Telegraph - Press Gazette
- Kidman scents victory over newspaper - Sky