Aled joined 5RB in October 2017. He specialises in privacy, data protection and defamation law, and acts for both claimants and defendants. Aled regularly appears in the High Court and county courts in privacy, data protection and defamation disputes. Examples of Aled’s recent work include:
- Acting for Barclays Bank PLC in a successful strike out application before Nicklin J on grounds of limitation and/or absolute privilege in respect of a report made to a financial regulator.
- Advising a local authority in obtaining injunctive relief against a number of well-known social media companies in respect of images and additional content posted on their platforms.
- Acting for Mirror Group Newspapers in the on-going phone hacking litigation relating to a large number of claims from celebrities and others in respect of phone hacking and other unlawful activities.
- Appearing for a public body in successfully resisting an application for injunctive relief based on alleged breaches of the provisions of the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018.
- Advising a number of private individuals in respect of take-down requests and obtaining injunctive relief against companies including Google, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube.
In addition to the above, Aled has recently worked with a number of clients about GDPR compliance and has advised and acted for companies in litigation arising from subject access requests, data breaches, disputes in respect of data-sharing agreements and cross-border data transfers. Aled has also advised clients about making complaints to the Information Commissioner’s Office and dealing with upcoming legislative changes to data protection legislation.
Aled is particularly interested in the regulation of social media companies. He has advised a number of start-ups, scale-ups and established companies about issues of data protection and intermediary liability, and has provided advice to a number of MPs, political organisations, and governmental bodies on matters of data protection policy. Aled has also worked, led and unled, on defamation, privacy and data protection claims for and against online publishers.
Aled provides regular pre-publication advice to the Sun and the Sun on Sunday and is also a consultant to Bindmans LLP’s media team.
Aled began as a tenant at 5RB after successful completion of pupillage at Chambers. During pupillage, Aled worked in all of 5RB’s areas of practice, including defamation, privacy, data protection, reporting restrictions and copyright law. Cases with which Aled assisted included:
- Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman v ARY Network Ltd: a week-long trial of libel and harassment claims which led to a damages award of £185,000 and the first ever publication order under s.12 of the Defamation Act 2013.
- AJS v News Group Newspapers: a privacy injunction relating to a potential witness in a serious criminal investigation.
- Various Claimants v Mirror Group Newspapers: four misuse of private information claims made by four victims of phone hacking.
- Norman v Norman: an application in the Court of Appeal against a reporting restriction made in financial remedies proceedings.
Aled was called to the bar in 2016, after graduating from Corpus Christi College, Oxford. Prior to coming to the Bar, Aled worked in technology and politics.
Aled advises on all of Chambers’ areas of practice and offers pre-publication advice to all media and communications companies.