September 15, 2005
London hosts MLRC Conference
5RB's Desmond Browne QC to participate in worldwide media law event
The American-based Media Law Resource Center is hosting its annual Conference in London this year between 19-20 September.
The conference draws together delegates and speakers from across the US, Europe and the Commonwealth for perhaps the most influential gathering of global media lawyers.
Speakers at the conference include:
- Lord Justice Brooke, speaking on Reynolds privilege
- Justice Gault, President of the New Zealand Court of Appeal, speaking on the constraints of freedom of expression;
- Lord Justice Judge, who will speak about cameras in court following the pilot he supervised in the English Courts
- The Honourable James Spigelman, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, speaking on Open Justice;
In addition, there will be a number of discussion forums:
- Libel law developments
- Privacy law developments
- Reporters’ privilege
- Reporting on Court Proceedings
- Freedom of Information
Finally, the delegates will be treated to an interactive Jury Trial. 5RB‘s Desmond Browne QC will be one of the Counsel to address a mock jury whose deliberations will be watched by the delegates and analysed by a US jury consultant.
The Conference will be attended by media lawyers and judges from the US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands and the UK. 5RB members, Adrienne Page QC, Matthew Nicklin, Sara Mansoori, Adam Speker & Sapna Jethani will be attending the event.