February 17, 2015
5RB Talks 2015: Bristol
5RB's Jacob Dean, Felicity McMahon and Julian Santos spoke at the Bristol office of Osborne Clarke
5RB‘s series of 2015 talks kicked off on 12 February in Bristol. 5RB‘s Jacob Dean, Felicity McMahon and Julian Santos spoke about the Defamation Act 2013 and developments since it came into force, how to deal with publication online and on social media, and alternatives to defamation such as privacy, harassment and data protection.
Particular points of discussion included:
– how the section 1 Defamation Act 2013 serious harm requirement is being interpreted by the courts,
– how the new public interest defence under section 4 of the Act is being approached in practice,
– the extent to which operators of websites are availing themselves of the new defence under section 5 of the Act,
– how in practice one can seek removal of objectionable material online,
– how causes of action such as data protection and harassment are growing in popularity amongst claimants either alongside or as an alternative to bringing a claim in defamation.
5RB would like to thank all who attended and contributed to the discussion, and Osborne Clarke for hosting.
5RB will also be visiting Cardiff on 12 March 2015 and Manchester in the near future. If you would like to attend a future event or would like to discuss an alternative event please contact our Marketing Consultant, Karen Rock Monnick on email@example.com.