March 19, 2008
McCanns win front page apologies
Express and Star apologise and pay significant damages over Maddie coverage
The Daily Express and Daily Star newspapers today published prominent front page apologies to Gerry and Kate McCann over a string of articles alleging that they were responsible for the death of their daughter Madeleine.
In what it described as its “unprecedented” front page apology, the Express said that “a number of the articles in the newspaper have suggested that the couple caused the death of their daughter Madeleine and then covered it up” but that it now acknowledged that there was “no evidence whatsoever to support this theory” and that the McCanns were “completely innocent”.
The Daily Star said that the suggestion of the couple’s involvement in their daughter’s disappearance was “absolutely untrue” and that it apologised “wholeheartedly”.
The Sunday Express and Daily Star Sunday have agreed to publish apologies in similar terms and a statement in open court was read in the High Court this morning.
Express Newspapers, which publishes the four titles, has paid “a very significant sum” into the Madeleine Fund, and the couple’s legal costs.
- Kate & Gerry McCann: Sorry – Daily Express
- Kate & Gerry McCann: Sorry – Daily Star
- Kate & Gerry McCann: Sorry – Daily Star Sunday
- Kate & Gerry McCann: Sorry – Sunday Express
- Two titles apologise to McCanns – BBC
- McCann payout said to be over £500k – Guardian
- Express newspapers apologise to parents of Madeleine McCann – Independent
- Red-tops print ‘unprecedented’ front-page McCann apologies -InTheNews.co.uk
- Newspapers apologise to McCanns – ITN
- Tabloid Newspapers Apologise To McCanns – Sky
- McCanns win ‘major’ damages from papers – Telegraph