Commons and Lords Committee calls for written submissions on draft Bill
A Joint Committee set up to examine the draft Defamation Bill has announced its timetable for the submission of written of evidence.
In a public call for evidence the Committee, which met for the first time on Tuesday, has invited written submissions on the provisions of the draft Bill. The submissions must be received no later than 10 June 2011.
The first evidence, from Lord Lester of Herne Hill to be heard on Wednesday 27 April 2011 and the full programme of oral evidence sessions is expected to be announced soon. The Committee is expected to complete its report of recommendations to Parliament and Government by the end of July 2011.
The Committee is comprised of 6 MPs and 6 peers:
- Lord BEW, Crossbench
- Lord GRADE OF YARMOUTH, Conservative
- Baroness HAYTER of KENTISH TOWN, Labour
- Lord MARKS of HENLEY-ON-THAMES, Liberal Democrat
- Lord MAWHINNEY, Conservative
- Lord MORRIS of ABERAVON, Labour
- Sir Peter BOTTOMLEY, Conservative, Worthing West
- Rehman CHISHTI, Conservative, Gillingham and Rainham
- Christopher EVANS, Labour/Co-operative, Islwyn
- Dr Julian HUPPERT, Liberal Democrat, Cambridge
- David LAMMY, Labour, Tottenham
- Stephen PHILLIPS, Conservative, Sleaford and North Hykeham