John joined 5RB in October 2015 after completion of pupillage at chambers. During pupillage he was involved with his four supervisors and others in a range of 5RB’s work. Cases with which John assisted included:
• Mitchell v News Group Newspapers – the ‘Gate-gate’ libel trial of Andrew Mitchell MP’s claim against the Sun newspaper
• Prince Moulay Hicham Ben Abdullah Al Alaoui of Morocco v Elaph Publishing Ltd – libel action by His Highness Prince Moulay against an online Arabic language publisher
• Rufus v Elliott – libel claim between former footballers and business partners
• Gulati & others v MGN Limited – trial of quantum for awards in misuse of private information by eight claimants against the Mirror titles
• AG v Condé Nast – contempt proceedings brought against the publisher of GQ magazine
• Tardios v Linton – libel action by proprietor of private school against online defamatory statements
The spectrum of work John undertook in pupillage was very broad, covering many areas: defamation; privacy; data protection; copyright; Freedom of Information; reporting the courts; contempt of court; and others.
Before retraining as a barrister John spent over 25 years working in media regulation across broadcast and non-broadcast media, most recently at Ofcom. His experience in the sectoral regulation of both editorial material and advertising, in both broadcast and non-broadcast media, is extensive, indeed probably uniquely so.
John’s regulatory experience includes such areas as: editorial content (offence; harm; accuracy in news; impartiality; fairness and privacy); editorial commercial content (product placement; sponsorship; undue prominence); advertising content (broadcast and non-broadcast); broadcast licensing; and sanctions against broadcasters.
John’s practice draws on this expertise. Together with the core areas of media law work – defamation, privacy, data protection, harassment, copyright etc – he advises on all aspects of media content, both in relation to the law and the applicable codes.
John does both defendant and claimant work and offers pre-publication advice in all media.
2014 Called to the bar
Bar Professional Training Course LLB, Birkbeck College, University of London – 1st class
Wildys Prize for Legal Method
Birkbeck College, University of London
Diplock Scholarship Middle Temple
Areas of work
- Data Protection
- Privacy and Confidence
- Injunctive Relief
- Malicious Falsehood
- Pre-publication Advice
- Media Law
- Advertising Regulation
- Broadcasting Codes
Reporting the Courts
 EWHC 3095 (Fam) 05/12/2017
By John Stables. 13 Jun 2016
By John Stables. 10 Dec 2015
20 Sep 2017
3 Members of 5RB speak on Media Law
24 Sep 2015
New tenant from 1 October 2015