media and communications law
‘THE flagship event to attend for anyone involved in reputation management work.’
‘If you are only going to attend one media law conference, this is the one to attend.’
Conference5RB has been designed as a break-even, non-profit making event.
5RB organise the conference every two years to update those involved in media law and those with less knowledge on the changes that matter most. Our aim is to produce the highest quality event for the best value for money for the attendees.
Our next biennial conference will be held on Wednesday, 26 September 2018.
- Leaders in their field hear from leading practitioners and share their day to day experiences at the coal face of media and communications law
- Insights valuable defamation, privacy, harassment and data protection law updates
- Workshops participate in the interactive workshops focussing on complex areas of media law which demand specialist knowledge and experience
- Hospitality enjoy a two course seated lunch with your industry peers and a champagne reception to round off your day
- Value excellent value as Conference5RB, supported by specialist insurers Hiscox, is a not-for-profit conference
- Engage with over 250 media practitioners (based on past conference attendance).
Who should attend
- Media and communications law solicitors
- In-house data protection lawyers
- In-house media lawyers
- In-house counsel
- Any solicitor hoping to gain an understanding of this discrete area of law and how it affects them and their clients.
IET Savoy Place, London WC2R 0BL
£495 + VAT
- £450 + VAT Early bird price if booked and paid before 30th June 2018
- Group discount price of £400 + VAT per person when three or more delegates book from same organisation
Conference5RB 2018 – Programme
Registration – Haslett
8.30 – 9.20
Welcome and introduction to the day – Kelvin Lecture Theatre
9.25 – 9.30
Keynote Speech, the Information Commissioner Elizabeth Denham
9.30 – 10.00
First plenary session. Current data protection issues
10.00 – 10.50
Second plenary session. Current defamation issues
10.50 – 11.40
11.40 – 12.10
Third plenary session. Current privacy issues
12.10 – 13.00
13.00 – 14.30 Riverside Room
Proposed afternoon workshops sessions: 2 sessions running concurrent workshops
14.30 – 15.45
15.45 – 16.15
16.15 – 17.30
Workshops (choose one for each session, subject to change)
A. How to Cope with a Data Breach
- Containing the breach
- Who to tell and when (clients, customers, public)
- Whether to notify (ICO, FCA etc)
- Whether to seek an injunction.
B. How to run a journalistic investigation
- Using stolen or illicitly obtained materials
- Entering homes and business premises
- Covert filming and photography;
- Assessing what is in the public interest at the disclosure and publication stage in privacy, defamation and under the GDPR
- Publishing in various jurisdictions
C. Serious Financial Loss (s1(2), Defamation Act 2013)
- What evidence is required
- What to plead
- How to prove
D. One-sided publication litigation
- How to conduct fair litigation against a self-represented party
- Injunctions against Persons Unknown – the latest law on notice, service and keeping 3rd parties informed
- Dealing with vexatious complainants
E. Reporting Restrictions and Contempt Update
F. Social Media Update
- ‘Right to be forgotten’ decisions – NT1 & 2 v Google
- Take down procedures here and overseas
- Claims against social media companies
Final QA and closing remarks with workshop speakers
Champagne reception in Riverside Room
Conference5RB could not offer the same value without the support of specialist international insurer Hiscox. Hiscox have been providing insurance solutions to clients in the media, entertainment and creative industries since 1995. Their tailor-made policies cover a wide range of risks, including media liability, TV & Film errors and omissions, as well as professional indemnity for creative agencies. Solutions for private clients include home and contents insurance, luxury/classic car, overseas homes, and fine art insurance. Alongside their comprehensive offering for these more traditional risks, they offer cutting edge solutions for emerging exposures like personal and commercial cyber, kidnap and ransom, and security incident response. Find out more at www.hiscox.co.uk.
If you have a query or would like help in booking a place at Conference5RB, please contact the conference organisers: OutsourcedEvents Ltd., Barley Mow Centre, 10 Barley Mow Passage, London W4 4PH.
Tickets for 2018 will be £495 + vat to include lunch and a post-conference champagne reception. We are offering an EARLY BIRD discount of £45 for those who register and pay before 30th June 2018 reducing the price to £450. We are also offering a discounted group price of £400 per person when three or more delegates register from the same organisation.