- Acting for Andrew Neil in his libel action against Jennifer Arcuri.
- Acting for the claimant in Blackledge v Person(s) Unknown where libel and harassment damages of £70,000 were awarded against the Defendant. This was the first case where a section 13 order has been made against Google (the operator of the defamatory blog) to remove a site.
- Acting for actors Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard in a privacy claim against the Mail Online in Bell Shepard v Associated Newspapers.
- Acting for Coleen Rooney in the ongoing Rebekah Vardy v Coleen Rooney libel action (led by David Sherborne).
- Advising the successful claimant in the first privacy injunction of a British Overseas Territory.
- Acting for the claimants in the ongoing phone hacking litigation against The Sun and former News of the World relating to a large number of claims from celebrities and others in respect of phone hacking and other unlawful activities.
- Acting for the successful appellant in Soriano v Forensic News & Ors in the Court of Appeal on the extra-territorial reach of the GDPR and s.9 of the Defamation Act 2013 (led by Greg Callus).
- Acting for the successful defendant in the strike out of multiple causes of action and transfer from the High Court in the Johnson v Eastlight data breach claim.
Ben was called to the Bar in 2017 at Lincoln’s Inn, where he was a Lord Bowen and Lord Denning scholar.
In 2017, Ben was presented with the Benjamin Franklin House Literary Prize, run in conjunction with the Daily Telegraph, for his writing on free speech, social media and ‘fake news’. As an undergraduate, he edited Palatinate, where he won the Hunter Davies Prize for Student Journalism.
Scholarships and Awards
Hubert Greenland Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
Lord Denning Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
Lord Bowen Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
Hardwicke Entrance Award (Lincoln’s Inn)
Buchanan Prize (Lincoln’s Inn)
Advocacy Scholarship (University of Law, Bloomsbury)
Law First Scholarship (University of Law, Moorgate)
5 Paper Buildings Prize for Cross-Examination (University of Law, Bloomsbury)
Resolution of Disputes Out of Court Prize (University of Law, Bloomsbury)
Judicial Review Prize (University of Law, Bloomsbury)
Maltby Exhibition (best dissertation)
How Prize (top First in Finals)
Maltby Prize (best mark in year)