- Appearing for a local authority in a successful strike out and summary judgment of a claim for libel in the High Court.
- Advising and successfully resisting a data protection appeal in the First-Tier Tribunal on behalf of a non-departmental public body.
- Acting for the Claimants in the ongoing phone hacking litigation against The Sun and former News of the World relating to a large number of claims from celebrities and others in respect of phone hacking and other unlawful activities.
- Advising the successful claimant in the first privacy injunction of a British Overseas Territory.
- Instructed by the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police in the ongoing Undercover Policing Inquiry, chaired by Sir John Mitting.
During pupillage, cases with which Ben assisted included:
- NT1/NT2 v Google: the first ‘right to be forgotten’ case in England & Wales
- Monir v Wood: a week-long Twitter libel trial
- Zarb-Cousin v ABB: preliminary issue of meaning and serious harm in a defamatory broadcast
- Reid v Price: interim injunction in privacy and confidence
Ben was called to the Bar in 2017 at Lincoln’s Inn, where he was a Lord Bowen and Lord Denning scholar.
In 2017, Ben was presented with the Benjamin Franklin House Literary Prize, run in conjunction with the Daily Telegraph, for his writing on free speech, social media and ‘fake news’. As an undergraduate, he edited Palatinate, where he won the Hunter Davies Prize for Student Journalism.
Scholarships and Awards
Hubert Greenland Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
Lord Denning Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
Lord Bowen Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
Hardwicke Entrance Award (Lincoln’s Inn)
Buchanan Prize (Lincoln’s Inn)
Advocacy Scholarship (University of Law, Bloomsbury)
Law First Scholarship (University of Law, Moorgate)
5 Paper Buildings Prize for Cross-Examination (University of Law, Bloomsbury)
Resolution of Disputes Out of Court Prize (University of Law, Bloomsbury)
Judicial Review Prize (University of Law, Bloomsbury)
Maltby Exhibition (best dissertation)
How Prize (top First in Finals)
Maltby Prize (best mark in year)