Hope joined 5RB in 2021 upon successful completion of pupillage. She accepts instructions on all areas of Chambers’ practice, including defamation, privacy, harassment and data protection. Her recent work includes acting for the BBC in Attorney General v BBC (led by Lord Pannick KC and Adam Wolanski KC). She provides pre-publication advice to The Sun newspaper.
During pupillage, Hope’s supervisors were David Hirst, Alexandra Marzec, Aidan Eardley KC and Kate Wilson. Cases with which Hope assisted during pupillage include:
- HRH The Duchess of Sussex v Associated Newspapers Limited (strike out and summary judgment application in ongoing privacy and copyright claim)
- AG v Crosland (committal proceedings before Supreme Court concerning publication of embargoed judgment)
- Mincione v Gedi Gruppo Editoriale Spa (jurisdiction challenge to libel claim)
- Soriano v Forensic Group Limited (jurisdiction hearing on application of s9 Defamation Act 2013)
Prior to joining Chambers, Hope worked as a Research Assistant at the Law Commission of England and Wales. In Australia, she was the Researcher to the New South Wales Court of Appeal, Judicial Assistant to Acting Justices of Appeal Emmett and Sackville, and Head Paralegal at Allens Linklaters Sydney.
Hope holds a Bachelor of Law (Hons I) from the University of Sydney, and a Master of Law (Class I) from the University of Cambridge. Her thesis on the legal issues surrounding ‘new true crime’ podcasts was published in the Media and Arts Law Review.
Awards and scholarships
- WM Tapp Studentship in Law (Gonville & Caius, University of Cambridge)
- Mills and Reeve Prize for Comparative Family Law (University of Cambridge)
- Zoe Hall Scholarship (University of Sydney Law School)
- Sir Dudley Williams Prize (University of Sydney Law School)
- Rose Scott Prize (University of Sydney Law School)
- Nancy Gordon Smith Prize (University of Sydney Law School)
- Caroline Munro Gibbs Memorial Prize for Torts (University of Sydney Law School)
- ‘No jurisdiction to grant internet injunctions in claims brought on ‘mosaic basis’ (Mincione v Gedi Gruppo Editoriale SpA), Lexis®PSL, 30 July 2021
- ‘Rebel without a Cause of Action: Bauer Media v Wilson [No 2]’ (2018) 22 Media and Arts Law Review 350
- ‘Serial Concerns: the Rise of New True Crime Journalism in the United States and Corresponding Legal Impediments in Australia’ (2018) 22 Media and Arts Law Review 201
- ‘Equity’s Childbearing Years: the Proposed Extension of Shareholder Oppression Remedies to the Beneficiaries of Trading Trusts’ (2018) 10 Butterworths Corporation Law Bulletin  (with the Hon. Arthur Emmett)
- ‘Piercing the Corporate Veil? The Liability of Directors for a Company’s Contempt’ (2018) 4 Butterworths Corporation Law Bulletin  (with the Hon. Arthur Emmett)