Jonathan is recognised as a leading junior practising in all aspects of media, communications and information law.
In 2020, Jonathan was appointed as a member of the Attorney General’s ‘B’ Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown. Jonathan is also called to the Bar of Northern Ireland. In 2022, Jonathan was appointed to the Advisory Council on National Records and Archives, an independent body which advised the Secretary of State for DCMS on issues relating to access to public records and representing the public interest in deciding what records should be open or closed.
Recent cases of interest include:
- R (Newsquest Media Group Limited) v Legally Qualified Chair of Police Misconduct Tribunal  EWHC 299 (Admin) for local newspaper publisher Newsquest in its judicial review claim concerning open justice principles in police misconduct hearings.
- Miller & Power v Turner  EWHC 2135 (QB) – Junior Counsel for the Defendant in a libel and harassment claim about publications on twitter.
- Timis and anr v BBC and anr  – Junior Counsel for the BBC in a claim for libel and breach of confidence. The Claimants sought damages of more than US$450m arising out of a BBC Panorama investigation into the acquisition of oil and gas concessions in Senegal.
- MacAirt v JPI Media NI Ltd and others  NIQB 52 – Junior Counsel for the Belfast Newsletter in its successful strike out of claims for privacy and libel.
- R (Finch) v Surrey County Council  EWHC 170 (QB), Junior Counsel for the BBC in a contempt application arising out of a live-streamed remote hearing.
- Burleigh v Telegraph Media Group Ltd  EWHC 2359 (QB), Junior Counsel for the Defendant in a trial on meaning of an apology to the US First Lady.
- M v CAFCASS (2019, unreported) Counsel for CAFCASS in a case about the interaction of data protection law with adoption rules.
- Cooper v National Crime Agency  EWCA Civ 16, Junior Counsel for the NCA in a leading case on data sharing in an employment context.
- Allen v Times Newspapers Ltd  EWHC 1235 (QB), Counsel for the Times in a trial on meaning.
- Appleby Global LLC v BBC and anr  EMLR 14 – Junior Counsel for the BBC in the ‘Paradise Papers’ data leak litigation.
- in Townsend v Google Inc  NIQB 81, Junior Counsel for Google in the first right to be forgotten case to be determined substantively by a UK Court.
Defamation and Privacy
Miller & Power v Turner  EWHC 2135 (QB)
MacAirt v JPI Media NI Ltd and others  NIQB 52
Timis and anr v BBC and anr 
Burleigh v Telegraph Media Group Ltd  EWHC 2359 (QB)
Allen v Times Newspapers Ltd  EWHC 1235 (QB)
Al-Haddad v BBC (unreported, 2017-2018)
KRW Law LLP and others v News Group Newspapers (2017-2018) unreported
Declan Arthurs v News Group Newspapers  NICA 70
Townsend v Google Inc  NIQB 81
Cushnahan v BBC and anr  NIQB 30.
KL & NN v Sunday Newspapers Ltd  NIQB 88
Scappaticci v BBC (unreported 2015)
Slocombe v Ricochet Ltd and Channel 5 (unreported 2015)
Loughran v Century Newspapers  NICA 26
Way v Northcliffe Media Ltd (unreported, 2012)
Neil Morrissey v Associated Newspapers Ltd (unreported, 2011)
Taranissi v BBC  EWHC 2486 (QB)
Haddock v MGN and others  NICh 14
Data Protection and Information Law
ABC v Google LLC  EWHC 3020 (QB)
M v CAFCASS (2019, unreported)
Ministry of Defence v Information Commissioner  UKFTT 2018/0147
Cooper v National Crime Agency  EWCA Civ 16
Adedeji v Information Commissioner and Department of Health  UKFTT 2017/0110
Cooper v National Crime Agency (2017, unreported)
Hazelwood v ICO & Cabinet Office  UKFTT 2016/0204
Galloway v Frazer, Google Inc and others  NIQB 7
Singh Khosa v Secretary of State for Justice (2016, unreported)
Hegglin v Persons Unknown and Google Inc  EWHC 3793 (QB);  1 Costs L.O. 65
Miller v ICO and BBC  UKFTT 2013/0253
Newbery v Information Commissioner and BBC  UKFTT 2009/0118
Montford v Information Commissioner and BBC  UKFTT 2009/0114
Reporting Restrictions and Reporting the Courts
Jonathan has appeared on behalf of the media at many high profile criminal trials seeking to challenge or vary reporting restrictions. These include R v Hill (2019, the Shoreham air disaster), R v Pryce (allegations of perverting the course of justice), and R v Hayes (LIBOR-rigging allegations).
In addition he has appeared in the following cases on reporting restrictions
R (Newsquest Media Group Limited) v Legally Qualified Chair of Police Misconduct Tribunal  EWHC 299 (Admin)
Ahmed v BBC (2019) unreported
Hunt v Hunt  All ER (D) 217 (Oct)
R v Premier News Ltd and anr (2012, unreported)
Publications and Seminars
Contributor to Arlidge, Eady and Smith on Contempt, 5th Edition, 2017.
Criminality and Privacy: Uneasy Bedfellows, New Frontiers in Media and Information Law, June 2007.
Media Access to Court Documents: Transparency in the Family Court, Family Law Bar Association Annual Conference, 2014.
Perception and Reality: Publicity Developments in the Family Courts, Family Law Bar Association, December 2013.
Contributing Editor of Survey of English Libel Law, Media Law Resource Center, 2011-2015.
Contributing researcher on comparative defamation analysis for Article 19, the Global Campaign for Free Expression, 2006-07.
The Business of Keeping Secrets, Commercial Litigation Journal, 2007.