Sam joined 5RB in 2023 upon successful completion of third six pupillage. He accepts instructions across all areas of Chambers’ practice, including defamation, privacy, data protection and information law, and harassment.
During pupillage, Sam’s supervisors were David Hirst and Victoria Simon-Shore. Cases with which Sam assisted during pupillage included:
- FKJ v RVT: strike out, summary judgment and reverse summary judgment applications in misuse of private information claim (assisting Adrienne Page KC and David Hirst for C)
- R (the3million and Open Rights Group) v Secretary of State for the Home Department: judicial review of the amended immigration exemption in the Data Protection Act 2018 (assisting Aidan Eardley KC for D)
Prior to 5RB
Prior to joining 5RB, Sam was a researcher and co-author of the Independent Review of the Governance of Biometric Data (The Ryder Review), commissioned by the Ada Lovelace Institute, which focussed on the legal framework for the processing and governance of biometric data in England and Wales. He also worked in the legal and policy team at a rapidly-growing digital identity company, advising on legal and policy issues, as well as representing the company to policymakers and lawmakers.
Sam’s Master’s thesis, undertaken at the Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford, investigated the application of domestic communications offences to anti-vaccination disinformation. During his legal studies, he sat on Index on Censorship’s Youth Board.
Scholarships and Awards
- Queen Mother Scholarship (Middle Temple, awarded for the GDL and BPTC)
- Blackstone Exhibition (Middle Temple)
- GDL Scholarship (City, University of London)
- BPTC Scholarship (City, University of London)
2021 Called to the Bar of England and Wales
City, University of London: Bar Professional Training Course
City, University of London: Graduate Diploma in Law
Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford: MSc Social Science of the Internet (Distinction)
University of East Anglia: BA American Literature with Creative Writing (Starred First)
Areas of work
Defamation and Malicious Falsehood
Privacy and Confidence
Data Protection and Information Law
Reporting the Courts and Contempt