He is a leading junior specialising in defamation and all other areas of media law. He also advises and acts in commercial disputes.
Adam was the winner of the Chambers and Partners 2011- 2012 'Junior of the Year' award in the category of defamation and privacy and is ranked in the top category of juniors in this field in the 2013 edition.
He has a particular expertise in reporting restrictions and in claims involving privacy and confidence in family proceedings. He has appeared and advised in many of the main cases in this field. He is co author of The Family Courts: Media Access and Reporting, published in July 2011 by the Family Division of the High Court, the Judicial College and the Society of Editors.
His work in 2012 included:
• Junior counsel for News Group Newspapers in the first case before the Court of Appeal concerning the new costs budgeting regime
• Junior counsel for Mirror Group Newspapers in the libel claim brought by comedian Frankie Boyle
• Acting for News Group Newspapers in a case concerning alleged phone hacking
• Acting for Kroll Associates in an on-going claim for breach of confidence and defamation brought by a Saudi investment company and a Bahraini bank.
• Acting for Times Newspapers in a claim concerning reporting details of hearings of ancillary relief cases
• Junior counsel for Guardian Newspapers in a case before the Court of Appeal concerning access by the media to documents from legal proceedings
• Striking out a libel claim brought against London Borough of Tower Hamlets
1995 Called to the Bar
University of Cambridge (Robinson College) MA (Hons) History
Polytechnic of Central London, CPE examination (with merit); Awarded CPE Scholarship by Lincoln's Inn.
Inns of Court School of Law (Bar Vocational Course)
Areas of work
- Privacy and Confidence
- Intellectual Property
- Reporting the Courts
- Pre-publication Advice
- General Common Law
- Malicious Falsehood
"Making a very big name for himself at the very highest level, Adam Wolanski’s position at the top of his field is solidified by his “excellent pleadings, unflappable coolness under fire, finely wrought judgement and sheer niceness” - Chambers and Partners Bar Awards 'Junior of the Year' nomination 2008.
Recommended as a 'leading junior' in the 2013 Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners directories. The 2013 Chambers directory says "He is an excellent junior who provides first-class advice." Clarity and concision are the core qualities which clients see shining through in both his written and his oral advice, and as a result he provides "clear, persuasive and calm advocacy which judges respect." Highly recommended for his expertise in privacy claims, he has also proven himself to be a master of cases involving reporting restrictions. Recent clients have included News Group, the BBC and the Mirror newspaper, and he is regarded by all as a real team player. "User-friendly, he rolls his sleeves up, is incredibly good on his feet and is an absolute pleasure to work with".
(17 Oct 2002)
(17 Mar 2011)