Luke joined 5RB in 2020 upon successful completion of pupillage. He accepts instructions across all areas of Chambers’ work, including defamation, privacy, harassment and data protection. His recent work includes appearing for the claimants in Wan-Bissaka & Anor v Bentley, led by Adam Speker QC.
- Serafin v Malkiewicz & Ors (first Supreme Court case on the public interest defence in s.4 Defamation Act 2013)
- Depp v News Group Newspapers Ltd & Anor (three-week libel trial in the High Court)
- ZXC v Bloomberg LP (Court of Appeal decision on the privacy rights of suspects in criminal investigations)
- Turley v Unite the Union & Anor (week-long libel trial in the High Court)
- DSM SFG Group Holdings Limited v Kelly (Court of Appeal decision on the use of covertly obtained confidential information in litigation)
Luke was called to the Bar of England and Wales by Middle Temple, where he was a Queen Mother Scholar. In 2020, he was called to the Bar of Ireland by the Chief Justice. He previously worked at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the Permanent Mission of Ireland to the UN in New York, the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade of Ireland, and the International Rescue Committee, advising on human rights, conflict, humanitarian and UN issues.
Scholarships and Awards
- Queen Mother Scholarship (Middle Temple)
- Blackstone Entrance Exhibition (Middle Temple)
- Robert Gardiner Memorial Scholarship (University of Cambridge)
- Julian Prize (Trinity College Dublin)
- Entrance Exhibition Prize (Trinity College Dublin)