Luke joined 5RB in 2020. He accepts instructions across all areas of Chambers’ work, including defamation, privacy, harassment and data protection. His recent work includes:
- Acting for Baroness Lawrence of Clarendon OBE; Elizabeth Hurley; Sir Elton John CH CBE; David Furnish; Sir Simon Hughes; Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex; and Sadie Frost Law in their claims for misuse of private information against Associated Newspapers Ltd (led by David Sherborne).
- Acting for the claimant in Aaronson v Stones (led by Gervase de Wilde).
- Acting for the publisher of La Repubblica and L’Espresso in Mincione v Gedi Gruppo Editoriale SPA (led by Aidan Eardley KC).
- Acting for the claimants in Wan-Bissaka & Anor v Bentley (led by Adam Speker KC).
- Acting for the BBC in R. (on the application of Yar) v Secretary of State for Defence.
Luke is listed as a rising star in defamation and privacy in the Legal 500 2024 and as Up and Coming in Chambers and Partners 2024 (defamation/privacy).
In 2021 Luke spent eight months on secondment with the BBC Litigation Department. He provides pre-publication advice to The Times and The Sunday Times. He is the current statutes, rules and damages awards author for Gatley on Libel and Slander (13th ed., 2022), the leading practitioners’ text on defamation law and practice, and has provided training on media law issues to lawyers and journalists.
- Serafin v Malkiewicz & Ors (first Supreme Court case on the public interest defence in s.4 Defamation Act 2013)
- Depp v News Group Newspapers Ltd & Anor (three-week libel trial in the High Court)
- ZXC v Bloomberg LP (Court of Appeal decision on the privacy rights of suspects in criminal investigations)
- Turley v Unite the Union & Anor (week-long libel trial in the High Court)
- DSM SFG Group Holdings Limited v Kelly (Court of Appeal decision on the use of covertly obtained confidential information in litigation)
Luke was called to the Bar of England and Wales by Middle Temple, where he was a Queen Mother Scholar. In 2020, he was called to the Bar of Ireland by the Chief Justice. He previously worked at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the Permanent Mission of Ireland to the UN in New York, the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade of Ireland, and the International Rescue Committee, advising on human rights, conflict, humanitarian and UN issues.
Scholarships and Awards
- Queen Mother Scholarship (Middle Temple)
- Blackstone Entrance Exhibition (Middle Temple)
- Robert Gardiner Memorial Scholarship (University of Cambridge)
- Julian Prize (Trinity College Dublin)
- Entrance Exhibition Prize (Trinity College Dublin)