Yuli is an Associate Member of Chambers. She relocated to California in 2015 and is now Associate General Counsel, Privacy & Product at Facebook. She can be reached on her Chambers email at email@example.com.
At 5RB, Yuli specialised in all aspects of media and information law including defamation, privacy & confidence and data protection. Her clients included Channel Four, MGN Ltd, Associated Newspapers Ltd, Google UK, The Evening Standard, LexisNexis and The Spectator. She was listed as an up and coming defamation and privacy barrister in Chambers & Partners 2014 & 2015 and said to be “clever, incisive and a pleasure to work with…”, “highly experienced in acting for newspapers” and as having “tremendous ability and knowledge“.
Work at 5RB included:
- Bewry v LexisNexis & Anor (July 2014) – representing successful appellants – LexisNexis and Reed Business Information – in the Court of Appeal (led by Justin Rushbrooke QC), in valuable appeal about the disapplication of the limitation period in an online defamation claim.
- Hymanson v Google UK (May 2014) – representing Google UK in a data protection claim over Streetview images. Claim successfully struck out.
- Assisting Trinity Mirror Group in the Leveson Inquiry.
- Representing ISPs and website operators in court applications for the compelled disclosure of user data, including communications data and identities of anonymous online users.
- Advising Channel 4 on data protection, data security and privacy compliance for video-on-demand platform, 4oD, and on EU cookies regulations and behavioural and targeted advertising in streamed programming.
- KC v MGN Ltd (ongoing) – representing MGN Ltd, led by Desmond Browne QC, in the High Court and Court of Appeal in a libel claim about costs within the Offer of Amends regime.
- Campbell v Telegraph Media Group (Jan 2013) – acting for Naomi Campbell in successful claim against the Telegraph over allegations that she organised an elephant polo match in India.
- Assisting Channel 4 in successfully defending controversial film “Sri Lanka’s Killing Fields” in an Ofcom investigation.
- Cooper v Associated Newspapers (Jun 2012) – representing the Daily Mail and Evening Standard in the first defamation jury trial in three years, brought by Luke Cooper. Led by Adrienne Page QC.
- Viagogo v Channel 4 & Ors (Feb 2012) – representing Channel Four and Hardcash Productions in the High Court, successfully resisted a breach of confidence injunction to stop parts of a Dispatches film from being broadcast. Led by Adrienne Page QC.
- Ferdinand v MGN Ltd (July 2011) – acting as Junior Counsel for MGN Ltd, the successful defendant in landmark privacy case brought by premiership footballer Rio Ferdinand. Led by Gavin Millar QC.
- Fiddes v Channel 4 & Ors (2009-2010) – acting as Junior Counsel for Channel Four and Studio Lambert in long-running defamation claim brought by Matthew Fiddes over a documentary about the famous Jackson family.
- Yuli has also appeared in the High Court in a number of successful strike-out, summary judgment, Norwich Pharmacal applications and damages assessments on behalf of both claimants and defendants.
She regularly provides pre-publication advice to Harper Collins, the British Medical Journal and was a night lawyer for The Sunday Times.
Before her pupillage, Yuli worked as a lawyer at Ofcom specialising in broadcasting regulation and breach of privacy cases.
Yuli was awarded a Pegasus Scholarship by the Inner Temple in 2012 and was selected to spend two months at leading media law firm Davis Wright Tremaine LLP in New York and San Francisco.